Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer in Chicago
Representation After a Slip and Fall Accident
Slip and fall accidents can occur suddenly, given the right conditions. These dangerous accidents occur more frequently than is commonly thought, and often lead to great physical harm. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that every year millions of people over 65 fall due to a combination of physical risk factors. Due to advanced age, any fall can result in significant physical damage. This doesn't even begin to factor in senior citizen slip and fall accidents that involve an act of negligence, for which another party could be held liable.
Unsafe Walking Conditions and Slip and Fall Accidents
Unsafe conditions create slip and fall risks for all ages, including children, joggers, pedestrians, employees, and shoppers, as well as seniors. Attorneys affiliated with Mitch Sexner, founding attorney of Mitchell S. Sexner & Associates LLC in Chicago, are recognized for their accomplishments in winning high value settlements and verdicts that required a deep knowledge of the law, and a tenacious ability to negotiate in the best interests of their clients. Our Chicago premises liability lawyer is available now to discuss your slip and fall case.
Even a minor slip and fall can leave a person with devastating, long term physical damage. Human bodies are complex machines with integrated physical systems. A fall that traumatizes one body part can have a severe impact on another part of the body later on. For example, broken bones can cause extensive nerve and muscle damage that lead to chronic neck and back pain – afflictions that linger well after bones heal. A broken hip can affect the knees, spine and back and even cause digestion issues. Many of these secondary effects lead to the need for further medical treatment.
Premises Liability: Determining Who Is at Fault for a Slip and Fall Accident
When an individual suffers a slip and fall accident in a public place, or on another person's property, or in the workplace, the question of liability becomes a prime concern. The controlling factor in a premises liability case is negligence and reasonable care. These concepts can get sticky, which is why it is critical that you obtain professional legal counsel as soon as possible. The legal team at our firm offers the injured client deep litigation and negotiation experience, with a perspective that includes all parties, relevant laws and a great breadth of knowledge of the elements that establish liability.
One of the most common places where slip and fall accidents can occur is in the workplace. According to a report from the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (OSHA), risk factors in the workplace include:
- Spills on walking surfaces
- Ice, snow, or rain
- Loose mats or rugs
- Obstructed vision
- Poor lighting
- Walking surfaces in poor condition
- Fast work pace making an employee work faster than he/she can safely accomplish
- Liquid or greasy materials that create slippery surfaces
- Age, fatigue, poor eyesight
- Inappropriate footwear
Property owners also have a responsibility to their tenants, visitors and guests to keep them safe. Other common conditions that can lead to a slip and fall accident include:
- Uneven surfaces
- Broken handrail
- Loose steps
- Loose carpeting
- Lack of adequate warning signs
- Failure to block off hazardous areas
- Failure to monitor hazardous operations
Serious Consequences of Slip and Fall Accidents
The legal team at Mitchell S. Sexner & Associates LLC knows that proving negligence is not always a simple task. We understand the factors involved in recovering maximum compensation, not only for the suffering you experienced at the time of the accident, but also for the impact on the quality of your life and your ability to work and earn a living. The consequences can be serious and long-lasting.
- Traumatic Brain Injury - A blow to the brain can affect motor coordination, ability to concentrate or think, perceptual abilities, and can contribute to loss of control over bodily functions that include respiration, heart regulation and sensory input. In severe cases, the accident victim has no ability to seek justice on their own and must rely on friends, family and appointed legal counsel.
- Broken Bones - Beyond restricting mobility during the period of healing, broken bones can create permanent nerve and muscle damage and/or a permanent misalignment of the skeletal system – all of which can generate further pain and incapacitation.
- Spinal Cord Injury - Spinal cord injuries can create a range of effects from total paralysis to varying degrees of loss of muscle function, sensation or physical control below the area of the spine that was injured. In many cases, spinal cord injuries affect the victim's life from that point onward, leaving the person with permanent impairments.
- Fatal Slip & Fall Accidents- Fatal slip and fall accidents often leave no one to tell the victim's side of the story. Compensation awards to the next of kin heavily depend upon careful and legally-oriented investigation and forensics to show clear liability in a wrongful death claim.
- Icy Sidewalk Slip & Fall - Seasonally, particularly around the holidays, when the streets and sidewalks are busy with shoppers, unmanaged icy sidewalks on private property and in business districts lead to numerous accidents. Establishing what parties can be held liable will require an investigation into the facts. At our firm, we know what to look for to identify the parties that can be named in a lawsuit or insurance claim.
At our firm, our Chicago personal injury attorneys treat our clients with personal care and compassion. We understand there is more at stake than just winning your case; we are committed to fighting for the quality of your life, and we do so with a professional earnestness that has resulted in winning some of the largest settlements ever awarded in the Chicago area.
Call us now. We offer a free online case evaluation and provide legal services in both English and Spanish. Reach us in person at (800)-996-4824. Please call now and get your questions answered.
- Slip and Fall Blogs
- Did a Business Fail to Keep You Safe As a Customer?
- Easy Ways to Avoid Slip and Fall Fatalities
- Brain Injuries Commonly Suffered in Chicago Slip, Trip, and Fall Accidents
- Bones Commonly Broken in Chicago Sidewalk Slip, Trip, and Fall Accidents
- Who May Be Held Liable for a Chicago Slip, Trip, and Fall Accident?