Car Accident Lawyers in Chicago
We Protect the Rights of the Injured
Injured in a car accident? Get in contact with a professional car accident lawyer as soon as possible. Our founding attorney, Mitch Sexner, has gained a reputation for achieving high value settlements and verdicts. As a trial lawyer, Mr. Sexner is known for winning the tough cases, and is a powerful and talented negotiator. You will owe no legal fees unless we win for you. Call our firm for immediate assistance and a free case evaluation.
Most of us are defensive drivers, and obey the rules of the road. Unfortunately, other drivers may not exercise the same caution. At our firm, Mitchell S. Sexner & Associates LLC., we bring an exceptional level of legal skill to the table for people who are suffering the consequences of an auto accident. Every person we represent is treated with unparalleled care and attention. We take our job very seriously, and our duty is to the people we represent. Our firm is dedicated to seeking justice for the injured – call us now for help at (800) 996-4824.
You Were Injured in a Car Collision in Chicago – What Now?
After a car crash, it can be difficult to know who to turn to for help. Most people are contacted by the insurance company, sometimes even prior to being released from the hospital. Insurance companies hope to pay out as little as possible in settlements, and often urge injured victims to accept an offer that is far less than they have a right to expect. We won't let this happen to our clients. Talk to us. We will engage in a full investigation into the facts and an in-depth evaluation of the damages, both economic and noneconomic. We are committed to pursuing the highest level of compensation possible in each and every case we take on.
What is Negligent Driving?
An act of negligence is when another party fails to exercise reasonable care to protect others. There are many types of car accidents, and the actions of the responsible driver are a significant factor in the final amount of your settlement or verdict. Negligent driving takes many forms, including the following:
- Speeding - Drivers are expected to not only be aware of speed limits on highways and roads, but to also obey those limits and operate vehicles with appropriate care.
- Drunk driving - Driving impairment due to alcohol can result in serious property damage or personal injury. Since this is also a criminal charge, any criminal conviction can help strengthen a negligence case for civil litigation.
- Distracted driving - There are many different distractions that can cause a driver to not take proper caution while driving, including those both inside and outside the vehicle.
- Drowsy driving - Drivers are expected to operate their vehicles with enough rest so they can do so safely and without falling asleep. While it can be difficult to prove that a driver was asleep at the wheel, doing so demonstrates that they were negligent.
- Driving under the influence of drugs - Drug abuse can be just as dangerous for driving as alcohol use, resulting in slowed reflexes and reduced awareness. Much like drunk driving, there can be a criminal component to this situation that makes a lawsuit stronger.
- Aggressive driving - While excess speeding can be an element in many accidents, failing to obey traffic laws and signals can also result in a collision. Drivers are expected to follow traffic laws and maintain control over their vehicles.
A Variety of Factors Can Play a Significant Role in a Chicago Car Accident Case
No two accidents are exactly alike. There are a variety of details that need to be thoroughly taken into account in order to build a strong car accident case. Our firm is prepared to examine every detail surrounding your accident, and will determine the specific factors at play, find who was responsible as a result, and evaluate the injuries you have sustained.
Types of Injuries That Can Occur Due to a Car Accident
The degree of the injuries sustained impacts the amount of compensation that we pursue on your behalf. Every case is unique and will be evaluated individually, though certain types of injuries are more common than others.
- Catastrophic Injuries - Several types of injuries are classified as "catastrophic." These are life-changing injuries that leave the victim suffering physical or cognitive damage, or both.
- Spinal Cord Injuries - An injury to the spinal cord can leave the victim facing the future with permanent physical impairments and a lifetime of care, at great cost.
- Arm and Leg Injuries - Collisions can result in crushed or injured limbs, which can impede movement and make daily tasks more difficult.
- Brain Injuries - A brain injury will have an uncertain outcome, and many who suffer this injury will a need long period of rehabilitation and are left with both cognitive and physical impairments.
- Internal Injuries - Impacts at high speed can often produce blunt force trauma that injures organs and tissue within the body. Seek medical attention after any crash to ensure there are no injuries that you cannot see.
- Wrongful Death - When a loved one dies due to the actions of a negligent driver, specific family members have the right to file a wrongful death claim or lawsuit.
We are prepared to evaluate your injury case, at no cost to you, and advise you about the level of compensation we could pursue on your behalf.
Broken Bones in a Car Accident
Broken bone injuries are common in car accidents because of the crash's force of impact. A broken bone may happen to any part your body, and typically depends on the speed a vehicle traveled at and where the impact occurs. Common broken bone injuries include:
- Broken limbs
- Broken rib
- Compound fractures
- Face and skull
- Hip and pelvis
- Neck and spine
- Wrist and ankle
Let Us Help You with Insurance Claims, Settlements, and Potential Litigation
The Insurance Company is On My Side, Right?
Insurance companies are, at the end of the day, businesses that want to make as much profit as possible, just like any other company. The best way for them to do that is to pay as little as they can on claims. Even your own insurance company wants to pay out as small a claim as it can. Before you talk to any insurance company or sign anything, give us a call and talk to us about your accident. We can help you understand your rights, and work to get you fair compensation.
Your Options If the Driver Who Caused Your Accident Was Uninsured
Under Illinois state law, every insurance policy sold must include uninsured motorist coverage. The limits of uninsured motorist coverage must be equal to the policy's liability injury coverage, unless a lower limit is selected in writing by the policyholder. If you have been injured in an accident caused by an uninsured driver, you may be able to recover from your own insurance company for medical expenses, lost wages, and many other losses.
If Negligence Was Involved, You May Be Able to File a Civil Lawsuit
If another driver is responsible for your injuries and property damages, through negligence, then you may be able to file a lawsuit for damages. Read about our many settlements and verdicts so you are confident you are connecting with a professional firm with an extensive track record of success. Call us to discuss your case and determine whether negligence occurred in your accident.
Has Your Insurance Company Refused to Pay or Are They Taking Too Long?
While processing an insurance claim naturally takes some time, there are some instances where companies delay claims for an unreasonable and "vexatious" period of time. This is referred to as "Bad Faith" and violates Illinois law. To establish that an insurance company is acting in bad faith, you need to prove that they disputed the amount payable on a claim, delayed settling the claim, or refused to provide coverage when coverage was not debatable. Then, it needs to be proven that the delay or refusal was "unreasonable and vexatious." This is not easy to do alone, so if your insurance company seems to be acting in bad faith, call us to discuss your situation.
Car Accident Attorneys Providing Legal Help After Accidents in Chicago
Get a skilled personal injury lawyer to protect your right to compensation. At Mitchell S. Sexner & Associates LLC., you can have total confidence that your case will be handled with a high level of professionalism and legal skill. We care about our clients, and are willing to fight for the right settlement, or move ahead by taking the case to court to seek justice. As trial lawyers, we have honed our skills on tough cases, and our founder, Mitch Sexner, is recognized for his many high value verdicts and settlements.
Call (800) 996-4824 now to speak with us about your case.
- Car Accident Blogs
- We Collided on Ice, is the Other Driver Liable?
- Drivers: Share the Roads This Winter