En Español

Criminal Defense Law Firm

Bail Bond Violation Defense Attorneys

bail bond violation law firmWhen a person has been charged with a crime, whether it’s for a misdemeanor, felony or traffic offense, the defendant is required to appear in court at a later date in front of a judge. When the police release you from custody, you must make a promise to show up in court. This promise is called a Bail Bond. It’s a piece of paper that sets forth your obligations to the court such as your promise to stay out of trouble, show up on time for your court dates, not to leave the jurisdiction, and sometimes it includes other language requiring you to stay away from the victim or to report to a court officer before your court date. Bail bonds vary from county to county and may include many different requirements.

Depending on the nature of the charge and your past criminal history, sometimes the police officer is able to release you from custody without requiring you to post any amount of cash bail at all. This is called a personal recognizance bond or “I Bond”. Other times, the officer can immediately release you from custody by posting cash in the amount of $100, $200 or more. But there are still other times (such as in the case of felonies or domestic battery) when the officer is required to bring you directly in front of a judge at which time the judge will determine what the bail bond amount should be. As long as you are able to post the dollar amount then you’ll be released from custody.

If you can’t, then you have to stay in jail. When you hire our offices though, we can ask the judge to lower your bond and try to get you released from custody. But what happens if you forget your court date or just don’t show up? Well, obviously the judge will not be pleased and he will likely do one of two different things. He or she might just continue your case to another date and have the clerk send you a postcard in the mail informing you of such. However, depending on the nature of the crime and your criminal history, the judge is probably more likely to issue a warrant for your arrest. This is called a bail bond violation when the judge decides that you have violated the terms of your bail bond, whether it’s because you were arrested for a new offense of whether it’s because you failed to appear in court. When a judge issues a new warrant for your arrest, it’s very likely that the new bail bond amount will be more than the original amount that you posted, sometimes double, triple or more. The clerk probably won’t send you a postcard about this.

When you hire Mitchell S. Sexner & Associates LLC, we’ll try to get your bail amount lowered and get you released from custody if necessary. We’re here for you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. So call us anytime at 312-243-9922 or 800-996-4824 and let us see how we can help you today.

free legal advice