Types of Car Accidents
What Happened in Your Case? Our Chicago Auto Accident Attorneys Are Here To Help.
Your Chicago car accident lawyer must establish facts to prove that the other driver committed an act of negligence. Negligence is a legal concept that is a critical point in car accident injury cases. Essentially, if another driver fails to reasonably protect the safety of others, and acts in a careless or reckless manner, he or she is committing an act of negligence. In some cases, negligent driving conduct is not in question – a drunk driving conviction or admission of guilt can make the process of recovering compensation less complex. Even then, the insurance company may contest or attempt to deny a valid claim.
What Type of Car Accident Did You Have?
There are a range of types of car accidents that can leave an innocent driver or passenger injured, with disfiguring injuries, permanently disabled, or fatally injured:
- Head-on Collisions: This type of crash is often deadly as the force of impact is greatly increased when two vehicles traveling in opposite directions collide.
- Rear-end Collisions: Common in heavy traffic, rear-end collisions are a frequent cause of whiplash, broken ankles and legs, and neck or back injuries resulting from the whip-like motion of the head and neck.
- T-bone Collisions: In a side-impact collision, the vehicle occupant on the side of impact has very little protection, and serious injuries are common.
- Side-Swipe Accidents: This type of accident frequently happens when drivers change lanes without noting another vehicle in the adjoining lane, when over-reacting in traffic situations, when suddenly encountering a road obstacle, when texting while driving, or when swerving or drifting into an adjoining lane.
Drivers who have consumed alcohol are involved in about one-third of the collisions in Illinois. These drivers cannot safely operate a vehicle. They drive erratically, make wide turns, swerve randomly, speed, or drive the wrong way on a street or highway, posing a serious danger to the safety of others sharing the road.
Unfortunately, high value insurance claims are frequently contested by insurance companies. These cases are usually settled through a negotiation process between your car accident lawyer and the lawyers who defend the insurance company. The skill with which your case is handled has a significant impact on the final value of a settlement or verdict. Chicago personal injury attorney Mitch Sexner is a powerful and effective trial lawyer that stops at nothing to demand justice for his clients.
Your Settlement: What Can You Expect?
The type of car accident can make a difference in how much you are paid in a settlement. The types of damages that may be paid to injured victims include:
- Economic Damages: These are the costs you incurred, including medical bills, hospital bills, rehabilitation, lost wages, lost earning potential, transportation costs and other direct costs.
- Noneconomic Damages: These are damages that are more personal, such as pain and suffering, loss of quality of life, loss of abilities and others. Each case is different.
- Punitive Damages: These damages are awarded less often, and are intended to punish a person for acts of gross negligence.
Get a Chicago Attorney You Can Trust to Fight for a Fair Settlement
Your choice of car accident attorneys is a critical issue in the final outcome. Attorney Mitch Sexner has the honor of being listed in 10 Best Lawyers, Marquis Who's Who in American Law, in Top 100 Trial Lawyers, and has a 10.0 (Superb) rating on Avvo, as well as the highest possible rating on Martindale-Hubbell®, AV Preeminent®. You can be confident that your case will be given the full attention of the firm, and that the final outcome matters to us on a personal level.
Call now for immediate assistance in serious car accident injury cases.